Travis Johnson, P.E. from NV Energy said to remember 3 numbers:
- 20 lbs of C02 = 1 gallon gas
- 1 pound CO2 per kilowatt hour
- 4 miles per kilowatt hour
What is coming in 2010/11?
- Nissan Leaf (battery electric)
- 100 mile
- 90+ top speed
- Cost: In CA, $20,280 after tax credit and rebate – $349/mo lease. Less in NV.
“It’s like a Prius on steroids.” – Travis Johnson
- Chevy Volt (Plug-in Hybrid)
- 300 + miles with gas backup
- Cost $32K in CA, $25K in NV.
Plug-in vehicles in Las Vegas are running on .70 cents/gallon. Johnson discussed the energy grid – in NV, geothermal power is being used at night which is when the electric vehicle would be plugged in to charge. This means a virtually zero emission vehicle.